At CNOC Outdoors, we like to go outdoors and the gear that we make is all about that: making our adventures the best possible, simple, enjoyable, fulfilling and sustainable.
How It All Started
Back in the spring of 2016, Gilad Nachmani went on one of his many trips to the Scottish Highlands where he broke his last commercially made trekking poles near Cnoc na-Gareig. Frustrated with the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on a new pair, he set off to prove you can make trekking poles cheaper, so he made them.
In 2017, after a trial by fire in hardware manufacturing (and a move from the UK to the USA), Cnoc was established and ready to make the first item on Gilad’s perfect gear list: a simple, light water collecting bottle that would work with his Sawyer Squeeze. After lots of development, handshaking and a successful campaign on Kickstarter, and the Vecto was born.
CNOC is about creating amazing gear that everyone wants but no one makes.
What is important to us and make the company tick
CNOC is not just a company, it is a community of like minded people, developing, creating and recreating together. This is what is important to us (aka: values) and what is a part of everything we do in CNOC:
- Cooperative Innovation - Our products are constantly getting improved based on testing, customer feedback and returns. We encourage customers to contact us if they need a product that does not yet exist, have an improvement to any of our gear or just have a wild idea they'd love to try. While perfecting our gear list, there is no such thing as an idea that is too odd, so let us know what you think is missing.
- Minimalist Design - We always strive for design perfection, not just making what sells. Our gear makes perfect sense to the experienced hiker but might have a bit of a learning curve at the beginning. Once you get your hands on what we make, it will feel like the most natural connection. Like you and nature.
- Inclusive Outdoors - Outdoor recreation is a vital part of keeping us healthy and happy, and we believe that every person deserves to enjoy it safely. People from all cultures, backgrounds and life stories deserve a place in the outdoor community, narrative and industry, giving space to all the voices that take part in outdoor recreation.
- Leave No Trace throughout - From less “disposable” design, to robust materials, to limited packaging that is recycled and recyclable, we want to make sure our impact on our environment is minimal. The majority of our staff either bike to work or work from home; we encourage our team members to know all the Leave No Trace principles and make sure it is part of how we exist in our daily lives.
- Giving back - From financial support for conservation to inclusive outdoor recreation and beyond, we give when we can and then some. Sometimes it is something small and sometimes we go all in, like our Autumn Outreach campaigns. Learn more about how and who we support here.
- Sustainable business practices - We know that making good gear means that everyone who works with us puts their heart and soul into what they make. We always try to be fair and supportive with our factories, suppliers, and services. We don’t negotiate the lowest possible price but try and find the right point at which we can support everyone around us. When you buy from us, you better the lives of everyone in our supply chain, domestically and internationally.
- Agile Manufacturing - We work with small producers, in small batches, and with simply functional materials. This allows us to constantly tweak and update our designs, materials and decisions which leads to better results. We listen to our suppliers and partners to learn from their experiences, which translates to better gear that we all get to enjoy and improve.
Feel like you should be part of our agile and growing company? Check out which positions we are hiring for on our Jobs page. If you are a hiker with the right skills, we want to hear from you. Really, we do - so get in touch.